Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Sketchy dealers?

rsouthern

Reactions
ok, I'm seeing some weird (untrustworthy) things from a local dealer, so I won't be doing business with them, but I have to wonder if Hyundai Motors corporate pays attention to any of this or has any input into how the dealers are maintaining the corporate image (assuming they care...)
1) the $50 gift card for a test drive is only honored by "participating dealers". I've checked several in a 50 mile radius from my home in San Jose CA, and none are participating.
2) see the attached picture, this local California is showing a lower price/discount if your car was damaged... in storms in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana... That seems unlikely for a California customer.
3) that same discount list also include a competitive vehicle owner discount but the fine print says it can't be combined with the "valued owner incentive", which has it's own discount... but both discounts are listed to get the conditional price listed.

I hate this kind of dealer, just makes me trust them even less.
Oh, and this particular dealer also has markup on their Palisades (+$2K) and their Genesis (+$5K). Yes, we're looking elsewhere.

Attachments

TM87

Reactions
Did you try Dublin Hyundai or one in Colma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rsouthern

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
We might try DGDG/Capitol Hyundai, they're part of the same dealer network that we bought our Buick from (being bought back as a lemon) and have been very professional and helpful to the extent that GM has allowed them. I'm less worried about the $50 test drive specifically, but it's the disconnect between the dealers and corporate that has me concerned... is Hyundai overseeing their dealer network, are they active in the success of the brand. These are things that the premium brands are involved in. Hyundai isn't in that space but seems to be toying with it. I'd feel more comfortable knowing that I wasn't going to buy into a brand that the manufacturer doesn't look after after the sale has happened.

Reactions
On the other side of the continent things are much the same. I shopped for Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade in Greensboro, NC, and both dealerships wanted $1200 - $2000 over MSRP. At Capital Subaru/Hyundai the salesman admitted it was added dealer profit, as if this was a normal and acceptable business practice. The sales manager at Battleground Kia just lied and claimed some of my options cost extra - not realizing I had speced out everything online before coming in and knew MSRP for my choices.

At Carolina Hyundai/Kia in High Point, NC they were selling at MSRP and completely transparent on charges. I negotiated a small discount and ordered a Palisade Limited. Nice folks, and they are selling lots of cars.

In the internet age it is pretty easy to be informed and shop around. I don't understand why people continue to put up with the BS and sleaze at the bad dealerships. But Hyundai should do its part to control business practices. They need to provide a customer experience to match the quality of the vehicles.

Update: I recently did Hyundai's customer satisfaction survey. It addressed dealer price gouging and asked for details if I had encountered it - and I shared my bad experience at Capital in Greensboro. Also, the salesman at Carolina Hyundai who sold me the car was very concerned that he was doing the right things to get a good review - and he got one.. So Hyundai seems to be concerned about dealer behavior even if they aren't managing it as well as they might. Consumer feedback does drive business practices. Respond to those survey requests!

Last edited:

pnc

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade Limited
We might try DGDG/Capitol Hyundai, they're part of the same dealer network that we bought our Buick from (being bought back as a lemon) and have been very professional and helpful to the extent that GM has allowed them. I'm less worried about the $50 test drive specifically, but it's the disconnect between the dealers and corporate that has me concerned... is Hyundai overseeing their dealer network, are they active in the success of the brand. These are things that the premium brands are involved in. Hyundai isn't in that space but seems to be toying with it. I'd feel more comfortable knowing that I wasn't going to buy into a brand that the manufacturer doesn't look after after the sale has happened.
My experience with Hyundai corporate is that they could care less about what their dealers do. I identified and documented three things my dealer did that were unethical, perhaps illegal, and corporate told me that their dealers were independent and I'd have to work it out with the dealer. Complete contrast with Kia and Subaru where we found 1) good dealers and 2) supportive corporate. For example, after an engine gasket problem was identified on my wife's out-of-warranty Subaru 2002 Impreza, the dealer lobbied for and the corporation supported free replacement of both engine gaskets. Kia replaced steering wheel out of warranty because the covering was peeling. Since Kia is part of Hyundai Corp, I was expecting the same from Hyundai brand cars. No such luck.

Hyundai Palisade Posts