Rear Heated Window Failure

BeBad

Reactions
What I Drive
2013 Elantra Limited
Rear window just broke (shattered appearance) in area of heating element. There was no impact or damage noted that would normally cause this. Should the broken window be replaced with a non heated version to promote longevity and prevent future failure?

16Jalopy

Reactions
What I Drive
2016 Elantra Sedan
Rear window just broke (shattered appearance) in area of heating element. There was no impact or damage noted that would normally cause this. Should the broken window be replaced with a non heated version to promote longevity and prevent future failure?
I don't know of a heater on my16 Elantra rear window. However, there is a defogger in the rear window that is very helpful when it is dewy in the morning.
I could be wrong, but all those lines running inside the glass are likely for defogging the rear window. It is needed for visibility. I doubt a tech would be legally permitted to install anything different.

Last edited:
OP
B

BeBad

Reactions
What I Drive
2013 Elantra Limited
Thread Starter #3
By "Heater" I meant the defogger elements. The window is shattered and flexible but still together and in position. I have tried shopping the window assembly and have found defog and non defog types for this model.
I wonder if there is a benefit to one versus the other that may preclude the unexplained breakage in the future.

16Jalopy

Reactions
What I Drive
2016 Elantra Sedan
If your rear window is laminated glass, then there is a gel or glue like substance in the middle If so, there would be 2 thinner sheets of glass on the outside held together by the gel. The defog strips would seem to be in that gel not in the glass. So the defog strips would not weaken the glass. However if it is just 1 thick sheet of tempered glass, then it would be shattered with many bits falling to the floor. The front windshield is always laminated. I can't see how a window would break or damage from regular driving. Something odd or unknown may have occurred.

OP
B

BeBad

Reactions
What I Drive
2013 Elantra Limited
Thread Starter #5
It happened overnight (not freezing) while parked in covered parking inside a secured (gated) area. We can't figure it out either. It just shattered.

16Jalopy

Reactions
What I Drive
2016 Elantra Sedan
That seems like an anomaly. It shouldn't happen twice regardless of what you decide.

LIG

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade Ltd
I read that someone’s panoramic sun roof blew up, shattered into pieces. Hyundai warranted it. Besides it’s a good idea to have full glass coverage on a new model. Glass is very expensive.