Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Is it bad to wait until the fuel light is on before getting gas?

Reactions
I always drive my Palisade until it's close to empty before getting gas. Is it bad to do so?

Gene

Reactions
What I Drive
2018 Genesis G90 ultimate
Could be serious if you get stuck in traffic or behind an accident.
If you put gas in when the light comes on shouldn't cause problems
That is way they have fuel filters in the line
I always fill up when it gets to 1/4 tank or there about just to protect
against what I wrote in first line

Ricebrnr

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
Bad for the vehicle? Likely not unless you actually run it dry.

Bad for you? Possibly, running out of gas randomly is never safer than having enough fuel in case of emergencies. The highways are littered with cars out of gas in times of evacuation or gridlock. Don't let that be you.

Reactions
It's not bad unless you completely run out of fuel, then its really bad for the fuel pump

bkool2323

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
the fuel pump is in the tank. It uses the fuel to help keep it cool. Running it that low may cause premature pump failure. I never let the tank get below half.

OP
Rayhan
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Thank you everyone for answering my question. I've only recently found out after a friend told me it's not good. Thankfully I only use our Palisade to shuttle the kids and rarely get stuck in traffic but I will make sure the tank stays above 1/4 tank.

Reactions
Thank you everyone for answering my question. I've only recently found out after a friend told me it's not good. Thankfully I only use our Palisade to shuttle the kids and rarely get stuck in traffic but I will make sure the tank stays above 1/4 tank.
Our local emergency preparedness teams recommend you try to maintain at least 1/2 tank. In California or any area where you may have a disaster and power fails, you don’t want to run out of gas trying to evacuate the area.

OP
Rayhan
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Our local emergency preparedness teams recommend you try to maintain at least 1/2 tank. In California or any area where you may have a disaster and power fails, you don’t want to run out of gas trying to evacuate the area.
Thank you for the advice @Mikeg112, that is an excellent point.

Hyundai Palisade Posts