Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

Halogen vs LED Headlights

Reactions
From the brochure I see that there are two different headlights, standard halogen headlights and the top end model will have LED headlights.
61471184_10214258178158134_5962281545996697600_n.jpg
61739183_10214258178118133_5417745740870975488_n.jpg

taaangy234

Reactions
What I Drive
2017 Subaru Legacy LTD
Nice, this answered my question. LED Headlight is included in Luxury and Ultimate trim.

Fritz

Reactions
What I Drive
15 Genesis 3.8
Mario is correct. U.S. gets twin halogen on SE and SEL trims and LEDs on Limited. On the three-beam non-U.S. set-up the upper two lamps are low beam and the lowest is the high beam.

Reactions
Has anyone noticed any headlight problems.. On my Lilmited when the lights are on low beam on dark roads with no other lights around that much, the light beam is very low and like cut off at certain height that makes them look like they are shinning under a shelf. There is like a straight dark area form a point above the light beam. If on a road at slow speeds the road causes the car to bounce slowly up and down the light/shelf effect moves up and down too. I think someone told me GM had this problem on some of their units..? On high beam the "shelf " seems not to be there and the high beam does shine a long distance but not very bright compared to the low beam brightness under the shelf..!!

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
Has anyone noticed any headlight problems.. On my Lilmited when the lights are on low beam on dark roads with no other lights around that much, the light beam is very low and like cut off at certain height that makes them look like they are shinning under a shelf. There is like a straight dark area form a point above the light beam. If on a road at slow speeds the road causes the car to bounce slowly up and down the light/shelf effect moves up and down too. I think someone told me GM had this problem on some of their units..? On high beam the "shelf " seems not to be there and the high beam does shine a long distance but not very bright compared to the low beam brightness under the shelf..!!
This is typical behavior of projector based headlight systems. Reflector based systems tend to bleed off, but fill in only some of the area under the shelf. You'd experience the exact same behavior on every new vehicle on the road with a projector based headlight system.

Reactions
This is typical behavior of projector based headlight systems. Reflector based systems tend to bleed off, but fill in only some of the area under the shelf. You'd experience the exact same behavior on every new vehicle on the road with a projector based headlight system.
Thanks for the information ... makes one wonder if this is the best improvement. ?!.

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
Thanks for the information ... makes one wonder if this is the best improvement. ?!.
Yes. They significantly out perform the halogen headlights they're replacing. The cutoff you're seeing is there to maximize the light on the road while minimizing glare for oncoming traffic.

Most companies have systems that are a bit better now that actively steer the beam around oncoming traffic, but you can thank outdated US regulations for those not being available in the states.

Attached is a photo I took a while back while upgrading one of my vehicles from halogen reflectors to an hid projector based system to compare light output. Halogen on the bottom, projector on the top. You can see that while the halogen light doesn't have as defined as a cutoff, the light output everywhere is significantly lower. The way they deal with minimizing glare for oncoming traffic is to just not put out much light.

Attachments

Reactions
Yes. They significantly out perform the halogen headlights they're replacing. The cutoff you're seeing is there to maximize the light on the road while minimizing glare for oncoming traffic.

Most companies have systems that are a bit better now that actively steer the beam around oncoming traffic, but you can thank outdated US regulations for those not being available in the states.

Attached is a photo I took a while back while upgrading one of my vehicles from halogen reflectors to an hid projector based system to compare light output. Halogen on the bottom, projector on the top. You can see that while the halogen light doesn't have as defined as a cutoff, the light output everywhere is significantly lower. The way they deal with minimizing glare for oncoming traffic is to just not put out much light.
Maybe giving it some time .. one won't notice it as much..?/

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
Maybe giving it some time .. one won't notice it as much..?/
You will get used to it.

If you want to see what the car would be like with the old style halogen lights, just turn off your headlights. You won't notice the cut off then ;)

MScott

Reactions
What I Drive
2020 Palisade
Yes I notice the same cut-off on mine too and it drives me crazy.

Hyundai Palisade Posts